View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 2CV prices 
viking bastard

Post 2CV prices
Australia got the message too.

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctio ... 9XFN557G2M

April 14th, 2011, 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: 2CV prices
It's happening with other things too. I just bought a 1972 Kawasaki triple to restore. On joining the Kawasaki triples club what I'm hearing is that they can't quite believe the prices their bikes are now fetching. Bikes that were £3000 four years ago are now changing hands for 7 - 10k

These are not bikes that have been restored or had added value to them in any way, they have just shot up in value 'as is'. Their forums are full of the same sort of arguments we see here, some guys have a garage full of old bikes and are going to make a fortune, while others regret the passing of the cheap bike era.

It appears the same demographic 30 - 40+ who are re-living their youth by spending their large disposable incomes are driving the increases.

April 16th, 2011, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Old-Nail wrote:
It's happening with other things too. I just bought a 1972 Kawasaki triple to restore. On joining the Kawasaki triples club what I'm hearing is that they can't quite believe the prices their bikes are now fetching. Bikes that were £3000 four years ago are now changing hands for 7 - 10k

These are not bikes that have been restored or had added value to them in any way, they have just shot up in value 'as is'. Their forums are full of the same sort of arguments we see here, some guys have a garage full of old bikes and are going to make a fortune, while others regret the passing of the cheap bike era.

It appears the same demographic 30 - 40+ who are re-living their youth by spending their large disposable incomes are driving the increases.

Are KawasakiCity doing restorations toward the top end of the price bracket?

April 16th, 2011, 4:37 pm
Firing on two.

There's no money in it Sean, nobody will be retiring rich from Kawasaki restoration. For one there are no spare parts available. I'm having to import mine from breakers yards in America via ebay. I reckon it'll cost me around 4k to build a 3k bike, what with shipping costs and import duty on the parts.

There's more money selling them broken in parts than whole. But then I'm doing it for that most stupid of reasons - because I'm an enthusiast. What an odd motivation that is in these days of 'market forces'. :roll:

April 16th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

My first big bike was a kara 750 gt in those days we called it the kettle. I had dreamed of owning one for ages and finally bought an immaculate s/h one. I loved the design and shape but what did it for me was when a cop told me that this was the bike they kept an eye on. My last big bike was a honda vfr 750 which was a dream compared to the kara.

When I gave money to the Charity for the Poor they called me an Angel
When I asked "Why are they poor ?"....they called me a Communist.

April 16th, 2011, 6:12 pm
2CV Fan

Sorry i meant susuki

When I gave money to the Charity for the Poor they called me an Angel
When I asked "Why are they poor ?"....they called me a Communist.

April 16th, 2011, 6:16 pm
Firing on two.

Yes I knew what you meant I've had one of those too, nice bikes. 8-) Having said earlier that there were no get rich quick-ers in Kawasaki restoration I found this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-KAWASAKI-H2-750-TRIPLE-CLASSIC-/130391776955?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1e5bf49ebb

Just goes to show that where there's a 'classic' tag attached there's always someone ready to capitalise on it, no matter what the marque. I still maintain that you have to have genuine enthusiasm for a machine to enjoy and appreciate it fully. It's the enthusiasm that enables you to ignore the shortcomings of using old technology. I can see some hugely disillusioned, not to mention out of pocket folk in the future.

April 16th, 2011, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
viking bastard

http://www.topoldtimers.com/marketplace ... n-2CV/1670

May 30th, 2011, 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

They haven't even clean it properly.

May 30th, 2011, 1:30 pm
Firing on two.