View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 READ THIS! Recent I2F news and changes... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: READ THIS! Recent I2F news and changes...
toomany2cvs wrote:
2cvkeza wrote:
So, please... dont block us ...

As I read Russ's rant it's not people like you and Roy and LPGO - who supply, yes, but who also contribute in plenty of other ways - that he's talking about.

Am I one of the people that you are talking about Russ?

When other people have raised questions or made comments about things that relate to stuff that I sell, I have mentioned my products. When you first told me about this forum (at the Czech WM) you specifically said that it would be a good place for me to promote my products. For this reason, if I do mention a product, I might add a link to my website (which I don't do on the other forum). I can understand that the position may have had to change since the Czech meeting so, please tell me if I am over-stepping the mark and I will make sure that I don't any more.

I'm more of a reader than a commenter, which is what I'm like in the 'real' world too: I'm more of a listener than a talker. I will often read a thread and think that, as there are other people who are probably better placed to answer queries than me, I wouldn't be adding much by commenting. I'm not the sort of person that says something just for the sake of saying something. Some forums thrive on people talking for the sake of talking but I feel that this forum is superior to most others because there is less waffle and more useful information. I contribute when I have feel that I have something to say, that others have not said, (like with mot regulations, for instance). I am aware though that more recently I have probably made fewer such posts, so perhaps therefore I shouldn't take advantage(?) of the forum by mentioning my stuff when someone else brings up the subject(?). Also, when people have posted about selling their cars, I have often suggested advertising them on my website (but as that's free I'm not sure whether that is ok or not).

As I've said, I haven't really worried about getting a balance before, due to what you said at Czech, so I'm sorry if I've got the balance wrong: Please let me know if I have, so that I can make sure to fit in with expectations from now on.

Cheers
Daras

January 14th, 2014, 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Oh dear :| :|

January 14th, 2014, 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
2cvkeza wrote:
So, please... dont block us ...

As I read Russ's rant (he's an arsehole, but he's _our_ arsehole and we love him for it) it's not people like you and Roy and LPGO - who supply, yes, but who also contribute in plenty of other ways - that he's talking about.

Yeah that's pretty much it, I must admit I'd had a skinful when I wrote that, so I went round the houses a bit. To be honest it's something of a surprise to me reading it back sober that It wasnt more of a tirade of abuse, I'm not what you'd call tolerant at the minute and I'm not too fussed about restraint when it comes to offending people. Anyhows to sum up, a nice balance of posts is what we'd like to see.

There's no chance of us having some stupid rule about mentioning company names, even if they're your own companies, that'd be like 2cvgb an they really are a shower.

Oh, and yes, Daras, you were one of them but I didn't want to 'name and shame'.

January 14th, 2014, 8:35 pm
Firing on two.

voeteir wrote:
I was (until now) a reader only.
If you want to read it is only 2min to create an account.
(only remark, it actually took a little longer. I wanted to use an gmail account and that did not work. It was only after I used another mailbox it was possible to create an account. Then I could read that gmail is not possible... It would have been easier if that info was readable before registring)

I'm now going back into read modus.
Keep up the good work.
Voeteir,
A happy reader

Oh, almost forgot, thanks for the comment and àpologies for the trouble joining, it's a pain for us to manually activate each account (more for Neil, because half the time I can't be bothered and then when I can he usually beats me to it) and its also annoying because we aren't exactly Bill Gates and Tim Berners-Lee, we don't really know what we're doing at the best of times. Glad you enjoy it.

January 14th, 2014, 8:46 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
Oh, and yes, Darus, you were one of them but I didn't want to 'name and shame'.

Thanks Russ. It's better that I know.
Between asking the question and you answering, I looked back at my posts.
In the last year, I have contributed to 55 threads, some with more posts than others. On 9 of these I have mentioned my products, (in response to other people's posts). On 13 I have invited people to advertise free on my website, (in response to them posting 'ads' on the forum). The remaining 33 have been not been 'promotional'.
I understand and accept that this ratio is too much and appologise.
Do you see my offers for people to advertise on my website in the same way as the mentions of products? Are they any more acceptable because it's free? or just as bad? Also, if a someone specifically asks/talks about one of my products in a thread, is it ok to answer them if I try to keep promotion down to a minimum (and I don't post a link)? Or would you rather I cut all such stuff out completely?
Thanks,
Daras

January 14th, 2014, 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Come on now Ladies,this forum is one of the best,no,as far as I am concerned THE best,on the internet.It gives so much information about everything 2cv.There are no adverts for people selling their bits,and when someone does,its to the benefit of all concerned.Dont you think.
Russ,I know I have been away for a while,but I was always popping back,taking a look,reading what people were saying,and believe me,you ,Neil and Max have a brilliant thing going here.I think it has a good balance,people like to read whats posted on here.
Don't change it mate,its far to valuable the way it is.

January 14th, 2014, 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

@dave411
Spot on....

January 14th, 2014, 9:41 pm
Firing on two.

Obviously I would like to be allowed to mention my stuff when it's appropriate but I don't want to take the p. I'm more than happy to comply with what is expected.

January 14th, 2014, 10:04 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Surely what you really want to avoid is the "don't buy his product it's crap buy mine instead" posting.
I think a plug of what's for sale occasionally is no bad thing - eg someone who shall remain nameless' mirror repair kits. Read enough, or do one or two searches will show what the general buying 2cver thinks of certain supplier's products.

BUT, for a new 2CVer looking for information it would be better to be able to mention which suppliers have 2CVs at heart without needing to resort to Staffordshire based companies not in a built up area or not sounding like Boom. 2CVGB is poor in this respect.

January 14th, 2014, 10:39 pm
Firing on two.

Nobody is banning the mentioning of company names, plugging of products, services or recommendations, or even wild, unruly rants about shit service from places.

January 14th, 2014, 11:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next