View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 READ THIS! Recent I2F news and changes... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: READ THIS! Recent I2F news and changes...
2CViking wrote:
That is just not right. Look at some Australian forums available to everybody to see, no conditioned attached except if you want to post.
This is about sharing the passion and the knowledge too, not hiding behind a curtain. Many other forums around world share the same spirit, free to watch but posting requires registation

Thats one way of doing it,and It works for many Forums, but as I said at the Start, It aint My Trainset.

January 18th, 2013, 5:57 pm
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
Mr Unhinged wrote:
Dyane61976 wrote:
I checked the other day all the members and how many have submitted posts and if you look there are dozens and dozens of old or new members that have not issued a single post. What I am trying to say is people may join but not all are interested in staying.

I see what you are saying but that happens on Most Forums.
Think of a Forum as an Online Pub, Have you ever walked into a Pub you dont know? Then had a look around only to think "Fuck that, not my sort of place" and then walk back out again :lol:

Would you even go in and look around if you had to fill in a membership form to get past the front door?

On recommendation yes, If It was free then yes also. If there was a Joining fee them probably not.
Saying that I Joined 2cvGB so I am talking out of my Arse

January 18th, 2013, 6:00 pm
Firing on two.

In keeping with the pub metaphor, wouldn't you rather go into a boozer with a door policy than one where any old Scrote can get in?

Does this really bother people? It just seems a lot of fuss over nothing to me, I like being hidden from view, if you can't be arsed joining then why should you have access to the info? We already pay for it out of the kindness of our own hearts, isn't that enough? Besides, if it were public you might end up having to be careful what you publish.

January 18th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
Mr Unhinged wrote:
It is nice to have the popularity but with Popularity comes Bandwidth Issues and Bandwidth costs money.

It's a country mile from hitting the limits of the current bandwidth. B'sides, even if there ARE ads, and I'm sure any money raised would actually be in the form of sponsorship from 2cv businesses who also post here, it's very very easy to block them. Firefox with the AdBlockPlus add-on is the way I choose to never see ads. Plenty of other solutions are available.

"Casual browsers off google" might easily be perfectly normal 2cv people like you. Or, god forbid, me.

I've just joined a 205 forum with a few questions. I found it through google, and could have a good look through before I joined. There's others which were hidden - I didn't even bother registering, just kept looking, since I felt unwelcome.

I would still come if there were adverts, I would still come if there was a Subscription fee.
Although If i didnt know what it was like and It wasnt reccomended to me I might not.

Didnt know the score on bandwidth to be fair that one was based on pure assumption.

The Casual browser thing I feel I need to explain more about. On another forum community I frequent there is a Freecycle bit. and that is a nice thing to have. Unfortunately it also has a History of people just seeing free stuff, signing up saying "I will have that" and then upselling it on E Bay.
and then disappearing off into the ether again without a Hello or Ta very much.

January 18th, 2013, 6:14 pm
Firing on two.

I don't really know what bandwidth is. We will never have adverts, we'd rather have no forum. Unless it meant we made a fortune, which it won't.

January 18th, 2013, 6:19 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
I don't really know what bandwidth is. We will never have adverts, we'd rather have no forum. Unless it meant we made a fortune, which it won't.

At the risk of being told to do one, here is another metaphor.
Bandwith= A Bigish Barn

Posts and Users= Cars in the Barn

You start off with an empty barn put a few cars in ,Loads of room to move about.
You then fill that barn up with cars and it becomes difficult to work on stuff or move them about, It take ages to move things and eventually you get gridlock (Or the Forum running slower cos it Takes so long to post)
You get a bigger more expensive barn and so on.

January 18th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Firing on two.

Mr Unhinged wrote:
The Casual browser thing I feel I need to explain more about. On another forum community I frequent there is a Freecycle bit. and that is a nice thing to have. Unfortunately it also has a History of people just seeing free stuff, signing up saying "I will have that" and then upselling it on E Bay.
and then disappearing off into the ether again without a Hello or Ta very much.

There's ways and means to make some of the fora available to those who aren't logged in, but not necessarily all fora. If you just trog along to I2F without registering and logging on, you see the Deuches Speciale forum, but that's it.

January 18th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Mr Unhinged wrote:
At the risk of being told to do one, here is another metaphor.
Bandwith= A Bigish Barn

Posts and Users= Cars in the Barn

You start off with an empty barn put a few cars in ,Loads of room to move about.
You then fill that barn up with cars and it becomes difficult to work on stuff or move them about, It take ages to move things and eventually you get gridlock (Or the Forum running slower cos it Takes so long to post)
You get a bigger more expensive barn and so on.

That metaphor doesn't apply to the forum.

The server it's hosted on is plenty powerful enough to cope with a lot more SQL queries on the database before slowing down. There's plenty of storage space on the server for more posts before it fills. The biggest risk is in total monthly network traffic - but that's a LONG way off. As in an order of magnitude or more.

(That's all a guess, but an educated one, btw)

January 18th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Aircooled Idiot

End of the day, its up to russ and neil. So ehatever they do is there call.... That should be final....?

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

January 18th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
I can't see the issue, meself. Someone told me about I2F, I found the site and registered, had a look round and liked what I saw and here I am to this day. As JDub said, it takes 30 seconds to register and it's free. I don't think that's too much to ask if you want advice or help.

January 18th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next