View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Modifing dyane, HELP 
Post Modifing dyane, HELP
From day 1 I have always been told, "if you want to make your car go faster, you should do the brakes first to stop it then make the suspension be able to handle better round the corner to use this speed safely!"

Looking round, the performace mods are about but there are less suspension upgrades and then even less braking mods about. Ive seen the vented disc conversion but is that a bit overkill? too much power, not enough weight? I have also caught drifts of 4x4'ers using drilled or slotted discs? Is it just a rumour? What about rear brakes, is there something out there that can make them better? I seem to wear mine out of adjustment fairly quickly?

The next thing is harnesses in a Dyane. Has anybody got any knowlage about fitting, where to fit them and what are the best ones about? I have rear seatbelt mounts in the back but is there some ruling about the angle your aloud to have the harnesses to work properly? Im trying and trying to scrounge a set of BX GTI non leather seats from my work and I thought some red harnesses would compliment them nicely. Its not for racing with, just a bit of added safety really.

December 9th, 2008, 8:25 pm
super slot

Post Re: Modifing dyane, HELP
hello jack! :lol:

December 9th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hi Citroenchild,

To fit harnesses to a 2CV or dyane you can use a pair of eyebolts onto the two original seatbelt mounts (the buckle and the reel) which the harness will clip onto. The rear sections which go over your shoulder are trickier because there is nowhere to mount them in a Dyane (or 2CV).

My suggestion is to make a steel plate approx 100mmx100mm with a hole in the centre and a nut welded to the underside and mount this under the rear seat box (you will have to lose your rear seats).

This might help, from a harness suppliers website:

Quote:
Warning: It is strongly recommended that the shoulder harnesses are fitted as close to horizontal as possible. It is a must that the angle of the shoulder harness does not exceed 45 degrees in relation to the theoretical horizontal axis of the mounting points. It is recommended that the harnesses be mounted to the fixing points suggested by the car manufacturer. The fixing points should always be reinforced by a steel plate fitted on the outer side of the car, not by welding or pop riveting.

December 9th, 2008, 9:52 pm
Firing on two.

citroenchild wrote:
I have also caught drifts of 4x4'ers using drilled or slotted discs? Is it just a rumour?

Nope, definitely not - we had grooved disks on our 4x4. Just normal 2cv disks that'd had grooves milled into 'em, on a tangent from the central bell. Six each side, I think, obviously with the two sides offset. Not so much for extra braking performance, but for clearing the mud, water, sheep, ramblers from between pads and disks - they did a corkin' job of that. With plain disks, you quickly lost brakes. With the grooved, they cleaned up very quickly.

Venting, grooving or drilling doesn't add braking performance, it just stops fade by either cooling the disk more quickly or clearing the gases formed by hot pads from between pad and disk. For increased braking, you need to use more pad area or a different pad compound.

Quote:
The next thing is harnesses in a Dyane. Has anybody got any knowlage about fitting, where to fit them and what are the best ones about? I have rear seatbelt mounts in the back but is there some ruling about the angle your aloud to have the harnesses to work properly? Im trying and trying to scrounge a set of BX GTI non leather seats from my work and I thought some red harnesses would compliment them nicely. Its not for racing with, just a bit of added safety really.

Makes sense - I've got a set of Cobra four-point harnesses to go on the Corbeau buckets going into the Mehari - sportseats4u.com supplied 'em. You've got to make sure they bolt to SERIOUS metal, though - not just the floor skin.

December 26th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

citroenchild wrote:
From day 1 I have always been told, "if you want to make your car go faster, you should do the brakes first to stop it then make the suspension be able to handle better round the corner to use this speed safely!"

Looking round, the performace mods are about but there are less suspension upgrades and then even less braking mods about. Ive seen the vented disc conversion but is that a bit overkill? too much power, not enough weight? I have also caught drifts of 4x4'ers using drilled or slotted discs? Is it just a rumour? What about rear brakes, is there something out there that can make them better? I seem to wear mine out of adjustment fairly quickly?

For suspension you could lower the 2CV and fit an anti roll bar and I believe the Belgium racers have disks on the rear but this would mean a lot of work to th rear arms.

I suppose how much you do to suspension and brakes depends on how fast you make the 2CV go. Generally making a 2CV go much faster means changing the engine and gearbox and in the case of the GSA it comes with uprated brakes compared to the 2CV.

If you are staying with a 602 lump and just fitting bolt on performace ie exhaust, air filter etc I would not worry too much about upgrading the brakes - (but thats just my opinion)

March 4th, 2009, 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]