View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 2cv 4x4 
Firing on two.

Post 2cv 4x4
I have a mad idea. I know that on this forum there are many 2cv 4x4ers. I want to make an off road one too. I really like the idea but for now i dont think i will be spending huge money on making it 4x4 so it will be a 2WD one for now and was just asking, How do i jack the donor car up high? i have a local track which is quite rutty and well i need a raised 2cv? Help all apreciated. :P
Thanks all.
Tom.

getting there slowly.

September 24th, 2009, 10:23 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: 2cv 4x4
Tom, there's a lot of 4x2 2cv posts on this forum, have a flick through.

Raising your suspension can be very useful. I tow a 14ft boat with my 2cv and what with all the stuff for the Czech meeting we needed as much height as we could get!

It's very easy to lower it again if you prefer that look.

Raising & lowering the ride height of your car is a really nice job for a quiet day. Russ wrote an excellent post on it here http://www.international2cvfriends.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=485

I'm not sure what sorts of roads you're considering but bear in mind that the bottom of the engine and petrol tank on a 2cv can be very exposed so don't go diving into deep ruts. Even a stone flying up could damage the sump then you have oil everywhere, etc... You can get front bumpers with a 'sump guard' built in to protect the bottom of the engine. Driving over any sort of rough/rutty road/field will wear all the components more quickly and that if anything went wrong your insurance company may not cover you if you're 'off road.'

Having said that we have a few 'green lanes' round my way and they're great fun :)

September 25th, 2009, 1:29 am
Field Plougher

Ride height is easy, but as sam said you will need protection under the engine and fuel tank. If your going through water theres a topic on it some where on here, but make a snorkle pipe for your car and only for water chris had a cut up piece of rubber floor mat or somthing of that description that he puts behind the grille which prevents the water hitting the fan and breaking.

If some thing on your car goes bang STOP and check it otherwise you'll probably make it worse. My car is often an example of this. Also take someone to tow you out.

September 25th, 2009, 8:53 am
Firing on two.

thats guys :P i really wanna do this little beast. got lots of lanes nearby that are brilliant for offroading. :P

getting there slowly.

September 25th, 2009, 5:51 pm
Firing on two.

Caution.

Many lanes are now "Restricted Byways" which means no Vehicles unless you need access.
See http://www.laragb.org/pages/nerc.html
If caught, you may get a section 49 served on you.
Essentially....An ASBO (12 month) for both You and Your Car
Worst Case is vehicle seizure! and thats not the engine

September 25th, 2009, 6:31 pm
Firing on two.

lucky we know someone who owns a house on this lane then isn't it. Its not restricted.

getting there slowly.

September 25th, 2009, 8:00 pm
Firing on two.

When I lived in deepest, darkest Wales and owned a Suzuki SJ413 in the early 90s, I used to take it off roading above Merthyr Tydfil, some cracking places there and easy to get to. I have fond memories of taking the Suki up a steep slope of shingle with four of us aboard and getting to the top with no difficulty(unlike the shortened V8 Range Rover, which FAILED!!! :D 8-) )

September 25th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]