View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Driving through water 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Driving through water
Sam,
isn't it much more probable that the water level was just high enough for the fan to scoop up a mist of water and propel it into the cooling system, shorting out the HT spark at the plugs.
By the time you'd pushed the car out, the heat in the engine had dried things off again.

You were probably lucky not to go much deeper, as the result of a fan spinning at high revs being immersed in water isn't pretty. The one I saw not only ripped the plastic fan apart, but also distorted the pulley beyond repair...

ken.

(As Adrian has already advised, best to be aware of the probable toll on other parts of your motive and running gear before taking your Duck for swimming lessons. )

samfieldhouse wrote:
In my last experiance with water, we were driving through the village in torrential rain. The pond (a spring) had overflowed the road and flooded some nearby houses. Before entering the water I dropped into 2nd but kept my foot slightly on the clutch to keep the revs high. We got about 10 yards to the point where the water had just started to come over the running boards when she stalled.

I'm guessing the water had gone into the exhaust and there was too much pressure for the gasses to escape.

I pushed her out and she started again as soon as I turned the key, much to the surprise of the people watching, especially the guy who went on about water in the distributed and the air intake :D

how deep can I go in a standard car and what can I do to keep going?

Thanks all

September 3rd, 2009, 10:23 pm
Trouble Maker

Mark Lewis superfin is the water guru.....

www.barbour4x4.com

September 3rd, 2009, 10:54 pm
Firing on two.

Russell wrote:
The most important thing you can do though, is to make sure the grommit at the bottom of the steering column is in place properly, ootherwise water will shoot up your trouserleg, this can be an embarrasing problem.

sound advice, thanks Russ :lol:

2CViking wrote:
Go backwards

would that work? I guess the engine is then out of the wash but surely then I would need to snorkle the exhaust?

September 4th, 2009, 9:20 am
viking bastard

No need to worry about flooding the exhaust. That only happens if you stop the engine.The compression is powerful enough to keep the water from entering the rear pipe. During raid OZ 2000 a number of 2cvs crossed the Wenlock river (north Queensland) backwards without any problems. As you can see I drowned Viking Duck.

September 4th, 2009, 9:35 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Did she recover?

September 4th, 2009, 1:48 pm
viking bastard

Yes he dried out fairly quickly. After drying out the points and leads he fired up straight away even with the exhaust full of water. The inside took a little longer but no worries, it was nice to drive in the heat with a wet arse.

My wife did the same thing on the last raid OZ 2008 but 10 mins later and voila she was back on the track again.

Some folks shaved off all the blades on the fan since they didn't bother removing it before the crossing

September 4th, 2009, 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
Don't try this at home

Y'know, I've just realised the big difference between this pic and when 4x4s got stuck in the water in Yorkshire.

It's the clothing. Nobody ever felt a great desire to strip to their shreddies and get into the water in a forest in N.Yorks in November. I wonder why?

September 4th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2