View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 extreme Off Road tyres 
Field Plougher

Post Re: extreme Off Road tyres
We used 195 Suzukis as did Bob, those tyres are a bit too aggressive you'll have gearbox issues if you drive at 110%.

October 12th, 2013, 1:04 pm
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
lpgo wrote:
I seem to recall one of the 2cv4x4 crowd using redrilled Suzuki rims and tyres, and somebody else using ~195 Suzuki tyres on 2cv rims. Can't remember who, though - LouisT? Subaru Pete? Do you guys remember?

Pete Sparrow had silly tyres on his purple one didnt he?- welded up and re drilled spoked steels

October 12th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Sean wrote:
toomany2cvs wrote:
lpgo wrote:
I seem to recall one of the 2cv4x4 crowd using redrilled Suzuki rims and tyres, and somebody else using ~195 Suzuki tyres on 2cv rims. Can't remember who, though - LouisT? Subaru Pete? Do you guys remember?

Pete Sparrow had silly tyres on his purple one didnt he?- welded up and re drilled spoked steels

This is 1 thing I don't want/like. These tyres are way to width... I want max 145 but with
haevy profile (nobs???) and I don't want rethreated tyres because they are way to stiff for a light 2cv.., I have theme at my Ami 4x4, they look awssume but are only good offroad and I want excellent in off-road....

Russ

October 12th, 2013, 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

lpgo wrote:
This is 1 thing I don't want/like. These tyres are way to width... I want max 145 but with haevy profile (nobs???) and I don't want rethreated tyres because they are way to stiff for a light 2cv..

Trouble is, there aren't enough "off-road" 2cvs to make it worth-while for anybody to manufacture tyres specially for them. Which means we need tyres that are intended for other things.

And there ain't many other things like an off-road 2cv...

There's various "digger tyres" in about the right size - Mark Lewis has/had a set. They really WILL break diffs and driveshafts, and are utterly unusable on-road.

Other than that, the Vredestein Snow+ 155s are about your only choice, I think.

Panda 4x4s are 13".
Nivas are 16".
Suzuki SJs are 15", but 195s as standard.

For off-road use, generally speaking, wider is better as it means lower ground pressure. The tyre pressures on my full-size LWB Shogun are about the same as a 2cv - except that's on 265/70 tyres... (15", though - and six stud. I wonder if I could use half the bolt holes and put 'em on a 2cv...? <google> Ah, bugger 6x139.4 instead of 3x160...)

October 12th, 2013, 5:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Quad bikes?

October 12th, 2013, 7:02 pm
Firing on two.

Quad bikes use tiny diameter wheels like 8" or 10", would be a lot of work trying to get them to fit.

Why do you want to keep them narrow Lpgo? Smaller tyres dig holes more easily. I'd like to see someone try the motocross tyres, but I'm not sure how good they'd be. There are as many different types of off-road tyre as there are types of off-road.

October 12th, 2013, 8:52 pm
2CV Fan

why not weld 2 motorbike-rims to a lasercut centreplate in the middle with the 3 x 160 mm diagram to make them fit to our beloved 2CV and then mount 2 motocross-tires next to eachother ??
must look awesome ... :lol:

October 12th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Guys I'm sorry but I disagree with you, In mud tyres need to be as narrow as possible

Our 125 tyres are ideal and with a good profile they dig through the first layer till therse grip and of you go... (on widht tyres you just will float on the upper layer with no traction) I won several trails because I had narrow tyres on my Sahara while Jeeps with widht tyres messed up..... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

ON grass you need wider tyres with low profile.

The Vredesteins are good for sand/snow but not for deep mud, again my opinion.....

and I like the mud so I need narrow high tyres (why do tractors have small high tyres you think???)

Russ

October 12th, 2013, 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I'm with you there, narrow tyres are far and away the best option for mud and snow, it concentrates the weight on one small contact patch and bites in whereas wider tyres tend to spread the weight over the surface which is slippery, they don't cut into the terrain.

I do like the idea of using two very narrow motoX rims on each corner, I've never seen it done before .

October 12th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Russell wrote:
I've never seen it done before .

Not me b.t.w.

Russ

October 12th, 2013, 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next