View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Conquering sand... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Conquering sand...
I use Vredestein Snow 165 x 15 on the car i used in Sahara 2011. I have in soft sand used all sizes from 125 to 165 summer as winther tyres.
The ONLY ting that matters when driving in deep sand (besides the skills of the driver) is the tyre pressure. Using wider tyres means that the tyre isn´t that flat when running with low pressure, thereby giving better protection to the rim and the sidewall, as a better groundclearance.

The first photo shows how it looked when I came, at low speed from rocks to sand. The car runs with my nomal pressure ( 16 psi front and 20 psi back) when entering the sand I imediately fellt the wheels digging, knowing that pressing the gaspedal will cause the car to get stuck, I just pressed the clutch.
After lowering the tyrepressure to 6-7 psi (same as the agricultural tractors with superwide tires) I just release the clutch a little bit above idle and when the cars rolls i can carefully speed it up.
The low tyre pressure means that the rolling restance is so low that it requires wery little power to get the car rolling.
Though I must admit that my car is equiped with Visa engine and 2cv4 gears as well as a LS differential lock. The LSDiff lock means that power can be tranferred from a spinning wheel to the other wheel, anyway this is of no good in deep sand, since a spinning wheel means getting stucked in short time.
The Visa engine is also of little help at low rpm, the best thing is the 2cv4 gearbox that allows you to start very gentle without abusing the clutch.

I performed some test by letting the car digg itself down and tryed using carpets or plates (both cases also with the use of the showel) to get up from the holes. I found that both worked equqally good.

We vere driving hundreds of kilometers i sand. One trip took 4 -5 hours through deep sand with lots of dunes (1st and 2nd gear) following a track from Wiki-logs, oploaded by a couple of Land-Rover drivers, who had marked it as difficult.

I am not going to say that it was easy. We vere both deeply concentrated in reading the shape of the following dunes. When you are alone out there and the temperature is 54 Deg.C, the water reserves are limited, then it is no fun when the front wheels lift from the sand when passing dunes, being aware at one hand the danger of bending the chassis and on the other hand keeping the speed so that you dont find your self at low speed in the hole between to dunes.
We didn´t take video from this part of the trip since we only thought about getting to he next place for water and gaz.
But I have added a couple of photos and a You-tube video with some sand driving (it´s a bit long I know)
http://youtu.be/6ZAL9HYDlFk

Attachments:
File comment: Lock at the track behind the wheel first it has been digging at 16 psi then comes the fine pattern at the surface when the car powers itself up after lowering the tyrepressure to 7 psi.
Also notice how little compressed theese wide tyres are.

maro11 (224) (Large).JPG
maro11 (224) (Large).JPG [ 140.21 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]
File comment: In the background an example of dunes we were driving through.
maro11 (259) (Large).jpg
maro11 (259) (Large).jpg [ 155.6 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]
maro11 (263) (Large).JPG
maro11 (263) (Large).JPG [ 110.82 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]
Marokko 11(291a).jpg
Marokko 11(291a).jpg [ 25.05 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]
File comment: Up high in the dunes
maro11 (334) (Large).jpg
maro11 (334) (Large).jpg [ 49.38 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]
maro11 (293b) (Large).jpg
maro11 (293b) (Large).jpg [ 63.12 KiB | Viewed 4365 times ]

Denmark
July 10th, 2012, 11:26 am
Firing on two.

Great post Hildebrandt! Excellent pics and info, thank you.

Harley

July 17th, 2012, 5:20 pm
Firing on two.

Nice car Hildebrandt!

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning!

July 18th, 2012, 8:54 am

Fabuleux!

July 28th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2