View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Any 2CV 4x4 in North America? 

Post Any 2CV 4x4 in North America?
Hi All,

I am increasingly inclining toward having Louis build me a 4x4 chassis and have it shipped to Alaska but I am wondering if anyone knows of a 4x4 2CV in the US or Canada. I will ask Louis as well but whilst I was cruising the board I thought I would ask the collective.

Does anyone have thoughts on the current options - ie LSD vs locking diffs. I have locking diffs in my Gwagen and really do like them but maybe I am out of date.

Thanks!

Adam

March 1st, 2011, 2:43 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Any 2CV 4x4 in North America?
roverini wrote:
I am increasingly inclining toward having Louis build me a 4x4 chassis and have it shipped to Alaska but I am wondering if anyone knows of a 4x4 2CV in the US or Canada. I will ask Louis as well but whilst I was cruising the board I thought I would ask the collective.

PM sent

March 1st, 2011, 10:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on 1-2 Spark

LSD vs difflock (my opinion)

LSD
+ automatic difflock (you don't need to do anything)
+ handling is better (a little) (car doesn't want to staight on when you are trying to go to the left or right)
+ no 100% lock (this is better for a 2cv gearbox ask Mark Superfinn he broke 2 diffs simultanusly)

- No 100% lock so in extreme conditions traction is lost....
- With one wheel in the air the diflock doesn't work at all meaning no traction.

Difflock:
+ works only when you want it to work (manually operated)
+ 100% lock; always power on both wheels.
+ best possible traction off road

- bad handling, car wants to go straight on
- when you have spinning wheels and suddenly they get traction your gearbox can/will break...

But you can do both in a diff look at Louis site. So then you've got the best of it all!!!! http://www.barbour4x4.com/limitedslipdiff.html

•LSD for 2CV - LBQD2 - €950 (incl VAT) + shipping. Works with Barbour Diff lock.
Difflock vs. LSD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Russ

March 1st, 2011, 6:50 pm
Profile WWW

LPGO,

Thanks for the good run down. I usually drive a Mercedes Gwagen and so the fragility issue with the diffs is not so ever present in my mind but of course, always a possibility. I guess having both LSD and diff locks would be the best route. I did not think about the problem of one wheel in the air with the LSD. I always figured you would still get some transfer to the grounded wheel but on reflection it seems not.

It is not clear from the LB site if the LSD can be fitted both front and rear. Can a LSD be fitted to my 4x2 2CV right now? It would be nice in the snow and ice.

I like the picture! At least with a 2cv rolling over, the damage is likely to be less severe and two strong fellows could probably right it. That is one of the attractions to the 2CV 4x4 for me, the light weight keeps it from sinking so deep in deep snow and or mud etc and makes recovery much easier. After having bogged a Unimog 406 twice this winter in deep snow, I am ready for something lighter. As I get older, I value subtlety more and more.

Thanks for the great input!

Adam

March 4th, 2011, 5:07 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

roverini wrote:
LPGO,
It is not clear from the LB site if the LSD can be fitted both front and rear. Can a LSD be fitted to my 4x2 2CV right now? It would be nice in the snow and ice.

Yes it can be fitted both front and rear. When you do only snow in a 4x2 take a LSD, you'll be amazed how far you can go with 2 snowchains!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I like the picture! At least with a 2cv rolling over, the damage is likely to be less severe and two strong fellows could probably right it. That is one of the attractions to the 2CV 4x4 for me, the light weight keeps it from sinking so deep in deep snow and or mud etc and makes recovery much easier. After having bogged a Unimog 406 twice this winter in deep snow, I am ready for something lighter. As I get older, I value subtlety more and more.

There will be big differents between your mog and a 2cv4x4. The dissadvantage of a 2cv is the gearing which is never as low as you want it to be. Buy some lower gears they give you more then a diff lock does, but even then it is to high. A Mog with crawling gear is unbeatteble, but when a Mog boggers the 2cv will still "float" and go on.

The 2cv in the picture is a self made SAHARA (2 engine's) it's the cheapest way to go 4x4 in a 2cv....

I can easily lift the rear of my new 2cv4x4 (and I'm far from a bodybuilder :lol: ) my bumper is the ideal liftbar!!~you can't say that from your Mog :lol: :lol: :lol:

So make your off road 2cv as light as posibble, less weight is the answer to the lag off power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen my new 2cv4x4 topic??
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2301

Russ

March 4th, 2011, 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

LPGO is the falling over from "Morvan"?

From past outings Diff Locks should only really be used when you are stuck!!.

Attachment:
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0012.jpg [ 78.41 KiB | Viewed 6383 times ]

Attachment:
P1010001.jpg
P1010001.jpg [ 54.88 KiB | Viewed 6383 times ]

March 4th, 2011, 5:24 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

subarupete wrote:
LPGO is the falling over from "Morvan"?
No this is at Bilstain Belgium http://www.rdmcbilstain.be/
Look at the guy peeing but he doesn't want to miss seeing my Sahara climbing the slope :lol: :lol: :lol: . (Probably my front engine doing 6000 rpm and my rearengine 2000 or so)

This will be almost 20 years ago.
I will post more picturs in my SAHARA lookalike topic

Russ

March 5th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Great pic!
Post the other pics.
Have you still got your AMI/Mehari 4x4?

March 5th, 2011, 5:11 pm
Field Plougher

There's an unassembled kit in san francisco isn't there?

March 5th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Is there really :shock: I did get a name for Adam somewhere in the States who may have a rolling chassis? I have emailed him but not heard back. I need to go sit down and breathe some more.

Adam

March 5th, 2011, 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]