View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2WD Budget Off Road 2CV? is it possible? 
gym bunny

Post 2WD Budget Off Road 2CV? is it possible?
Since I cant afford a real 2CV (Best 4x4x far!) I am after some ideas to have some fun!

I am sure the euro off roaders we went out with some time or have seen only use 2WD on some of there cars, possibly with a diff lock and different box but my question is how hard or expensive could it be to make a useable off road 2WD 2CV?
I guess you would need some sump and tank guards, tractor type tyres, some fan mods and air box stuff...? Not sure... please experts can you offer some advise as this could be a way of getting more of us off the roads and into the mud!

Thanks

TIM

P.S yes I am thinking of a new project for once The Van is done...! :twisted:

February 25th, 2009, 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Field Plougher

Post Re: 2WD Budget Off Road 2CV? is it possible?
Tim2cv wrote:
I guess you would need some sump and tank guards, tractor type tyres, some fan mods

Thanks

TIM

P.S yes I am thinking of a new project for once The Van is done...! :twisted:

yep all of these, but fan mod can be sorted by puting plasic in front of fan or visa engine

February 25th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Firing on two.

Yes it is possible, but all depends on how much you do yourself as well.
When you build up a 4x2 from a bare chassis I would do:
- I'd start with a ami chassis, because of its stronger springs and it is stronger anyway.
+ some chassis reinforcements, P.O. type
- reweld weld seams of the suspension arm as dads experiance is that the original ones are weak.
+ possibly reinforce arms with a U welded on the bend in the arm to give it an extra box section, so lots more strength
- use a 2cv4 gearbox, which give some more torque.
- sealed 123 ignition to secure ignition whilst driving in water.
- snorckel to give the engine dry air rather than wet air from under the hummit bonnet.
++ lots more, also many little tricks which are done for the 4x4s can be used for 4x2 as well, like greaseable bearings and such.

If you have more questions you could ask Louis B, when he seems unable to answer because he is on drinks, drugs, talking with women or a combination or whatever, you can obviously also ask Mark or me.

February 26th, 2009, 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

What Bart said, but most important in my opinion, lose as much weight as possible, especially from the back end( I'm talking about the car). A diff lock would be nice but expensive, would a DIY one work with a couple of fan belts and an idler shaft across the top of the gearbox?
Are you thinking about a raid type off-roader or an out and out trials car? If it's going to spend it's whole life in the mud weld the diff up, swap all the glass for perspex, lose some doors, trim every panel you don't need, basically build a 2CV cross car with more ground clearance. Why not even cut off the whole back half off the shell, move the fuel tank forward, and chop off the chassis behind the rear axle.
If, however you wanted to be able to still use it on the road, that might not be practical, possible yes, practical no.

February 26th, 2009, 1:48 am
Firing on two.

Hey! I'm just happy to be able to go down a rougher than average track! But it occurred to me when I was doing up my yellow beasty a couple of years ago that if you were going to strengthen a chassis that wasn't that totally shagged, you should really go the whole hog welding and do it like this in a RAID kind of way!

I also have a PDF of how to do a proper Citroen adventure standard if anyone is interested!
(tho' with a little googling you may find '2cv aventure.pdf')

February 26th, 2009, 3:11 am
Firing on two.

Weigth, obviously, should have mentioned it.
But please keep you sence switched on and don't weld the diff up if you like your gearbox to last (for some extend).

February 26th, 2009, 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I was suggesting an extreme solution for if the car stays only on mud, but spare gearboxes are easy to get, and if it breaks then you have learnt something.
The only car I have driven with a welded diff was my grasstrack (dirt oval) car, it was great when the wheels were spinning, but a pig to try and drive slowly.

February 26th, 2009, 2:35 pm
Field Plougher

Joolz wrote:
What Bart said, but most important in my opinion, lose as much weight as possible, especially from the back end( I'm talking about the car). A diff lock would be nice but expensive, would a DIY one work with a couple of fan belts and an idler shaft across the top of the gearbox?
Are you thinking about a raid type off-roader or an out and out trials car? If it's going to spend it's whole life in the mud weld the diff up, swap all the glass for perspex, lose some doors, trim every panel you don't need, basically build a 2CV cross car with more ground clearance. Why not even cut off the whole back half off the shell, move the fuel tank forward, and chop off the chassis behind the rear axle.
If, however you wanted to be able to still use it on the road, that might not be practical, possible yes, practical no.

some thing like this??

February 26th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Firing on two.

2x4s are definitely dooable, you just have to expect some limitations. Whereas with a 4x4 it is possible to slow up for an obstacle and then power up after 2x4s trend to have to keep momemtum up. As a result driveshfts and gearboxes are more liable to fatigue as there are only 2 wheels pulling the car over the terrain as opposed to 2 pulling and 2 pushing in a 4x4.

I went to the Huppel Trophy in 2006 in Belgium and all the cars there bar a Mehari 4x4 and my 4x4 the rest were 2x4s and they did extremely well. However there were snapped chassis and driveshafts so it is worth preparing the car before you go out.

It's also worth making sure you have permission to drive on the land. On our trip some landowners called the police but so long as you stay to rights of way you should be OK.

If you want to see more pics of the Huppel Trophy they can be found here: http://62.95.94.132/gallery/Huppel-Trophy-2006

February 26th, 2009, 8:33 pm
Firing on two.

Hmm, I reckon a 4x2 could be quite a chuckle, even if just on byways and not proper offroad territory. decent tyres and ride hieght would be the main things, and protection with skidplates and reinforcemnt so it can be abused without constant repair. removing the rear seats and the back of the chassis, and maybe the rear valence would give a decent enough departure angle, and look hardcore to boot. Welding the arms and reinforcing them sounds like a good plan and running open springs to avoid the dents hampering the spring action. A skid plate under the sump and fuel tank (or use an acad tank in the car maybe). Run the fuel lines in the car and brake lines too, so they dont get buggered by being knocked off. A welded diff would be the ideal way forward but i reckon it'd break quite easy, Mr barbour would know better than me though.

February 26th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next