View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Medicine 
viking bastard

Post Medicine
If you have a medical condition, you’ll need to think very hard about going. I am not a doctor or expert but some people may need lots of medicine or the medicine needs refrigeration. I suffer from mild asthma and need to bring plenty of stuff. Done a few raids in remote Australia without any problems. As mentioned elsewhere I/we hope to find a doctor interested in raiding with us but he/she can not guaranty anything other than knowing what to do + have some vital drugs on board. If you are dependent on medicine consider the time you are away from civilization and how much you need to carry. Remember no one can/should be held responsible if trouble hits us. Naturally we will help as much as possible but we are not countable for things going wrong.

September 22nd, 2009, 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Post Re: Medicine
My mum's a diabetic and has a self-refrigerating pack for carrying her injectable insulin. All she needs to do is pour in a little water each day and it cools her syringes down for 24hours. Obviously some medical conditions make travelling hard, but I should think the best person to know would be your own doctor, who can give advice. No doubt as organisers you'd want a medical certificate from all participants in advance.

December 28th, 2009, 9:54 pm
viking bastard

Freeloadeur wrote:
Obviously some medical conditions make travelling hard, but I should think the best person to know would be your own doctor, who can give advice. No doubt as organisers you'd want a medical certificate from all participants in advance.

Sorry mate, please don't get me wrong but a doctor would not have a clue, where and for how long we are off the road. We are going bush and I mean bush. No shops, no foods, water etc. I can not stress this enough. We are not organisers, simply a handful of 2cv nerds, travelling parts of Africa. No need for any certificates, it is not up to us to say yes or no. The person with the medical condition(s) are solely responsible and should make a correct decision.
Again my advice is. Come along and have fun but stay at home if you have any doubts.

December 28th, 2009, 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Jesus mate I thought you were only going to Morocco, where you gonna buy fuel if you're going beyond the back of Bourke?

A decent doctor should be able to give medical advice on what's needed in the way of shots, anti-malarials etc, and also an idea of travelling with any known medical conditions. Mine dug out all the info I needed for Siberia.

On one of the other threads there's talk about finding a volunteer doctor/healthcare worker, so if you do find one, it'd be well worth getting a med. cert from everyone to cover that person's back. Also the more medical details you can give should you get to some kind of emergency care the better. Even simple things like blood groups, allergies etc.

December 28th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Firing on two.

I believe that you can do most thing even if you need medicine or have a handicap.
The import thing to stress out is that it can take maybee up to 24 hours to get to a doctor or hospital - but that can become a problem to us all medical record or not.

Even though we are not profesional organisers I am sure everybody will do everything to help each other if problems occur.

Denmark

January 19th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]