View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where to go 
Firing on two.

Post Where to go
There are certainly many interesting places to go.
To me the important thing is how you travel and not how far you travel.
It is possibel within our time schedule to take the main road to the Hoggar Massive central in Sahara but then you would have to take all the main routes.
You can travel for severall days only following very small tracks in Morocco.

I have for a (little to long) been working on a raid route i Morocco. And I can from that and from my own experience say that, it is possibel to experience a lot of beauty and very difficult driving there, and the political situation isn´t that tensed as in Algeria.

I have by the way written to the Embassy of Morocco, to hear about regulations according to the use of CB radios and putting up a camps out in nowhere.

I havent heard from them yet.

Denmark

September 22nd, 2009, 2:39 pm
viking bastard

Post Re: Where to go
Looking forward to learn more. Keep up the good work. Whatever route you decide, it is going to be great.

September 22nd, 2009, 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I am going to show you a drawing of the route very soon,but I can already promise you it will be exiting.
I am plannig to make wild camp but also to use comercial camps when we are near cities. Nights in hotels are not in my plans.

Do we agree on that issue?

Of course we will be passing smaller cities and I think it could be worth using a little time visiting one or two bigger cities, Marakesh and Cassablanca for eksampel.

What do you folks say about that?

Denmark

September 23rd, 2009, 5:55 pm
Firing on two.

Hildebrandt wrote:
Of course we will be passing smaller cities and I think it could be worth using a little time visiting one or two bigger cities, Marakesh and Cassablanca for eksampel.

The medina of Marrakech is _fantastic_. We stayed in a cheap hotel, right on Djemaa el Fna - almost slap-band in the centre (between the two towers) of the "Morning" pic on Wikipedia's page on the square, and probably where the "panoramic" pic on the same page was taken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djemaa_el_Fna
It even has a secure car-park, but only accessible by car in the morning.

Meknes and Fez are also well worth seeing. Casablanca & Rabat less so, I understand.

September 23rd, 2009, 6:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW
viking bastard

Absolutely, it is not a race but a holiday. I love bush camps and camp fires but also enjoy interesting towns to visit. We need to wash (clothes) every now and then + stock up on food etc. We need rest days both in the bush and the towns to look around. I don’t fancy hotel/motels but will surely relax in one.
Ya please build in some sightseeing days, I’ll be a happy camper.

September 23rd, 2009, 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
I don’t fancy hotel/motels but will surely relax in one.

When a hotel costs less than ten quid a night, and is SLAP bang in the middle of the action, it takes a special kind of resolve to prefer camping. Don't get at all confused with big faceless corporate hotels. We're talking a handful of rooms.

September 23rd, 2009, 6:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
viking bastard

Shit 10 bucks for sleeping :lol:

September 23rd, 2009, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

okay Marrakesh and Feknes included and maybe two nights in hotels when we visit theese cities?????

Denmark

September 23rd, 2009, 6:38 pm
Firing on two.

Hildebrandt wrote:
Feknes

Umm, Fez and Meknes are two different places...

September 23rd, 2009, 6:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

Some of the small "hotels" in the one horse towns put on Berber tents and throw a bit of food and entertainment in. After a few days out in the wilderness cooked meal, a few beers and some dancing girls were most welcome!

but chicken necks on couscous got a bit boring after the umpteenth time, camel was delicious and so was the minced goat and chip sandwiches(cold) they provided for lunch.

the north, cassablanca etc are all very industrial and to be honest very mediterranian and were of no intrest. The ports round Ceuta were just down right scary.
Sean

September 23rd, 2009, 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next