View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Raid route 
2CV Fan

Post Re: Raid route
Which maps are best for Morocco? Many years ago when I travelled across Africa, the Michelin maps were the best. I think there were three maps that covered the whole continent, so I guess only the north west one would be required.

John

November 2nd, 2009, 1:52 pm
Firing on two.

Daffy Duck wrote:
Which maps are best for Morocco? Many years ago when I travelled across Africa, the Michelin maps were the best. I think there were three maps that covered the whole continent, so I guess only the north west one would be required.

Michelin do maps that go into a lot more detail than just "a third of the continent"...

I seem to recall we used the Moroccan Michelin, and it was excellent. Once we got to Mauritania, though, the choice was considerably narrower - and the quality a lot poorer.

For maps, if these guys don't do it, it doesn't exist.
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/

November 2nd, 2009, 2:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
2CV Fan

I know, the newbie comes in and says "but...". But have you found Horizons Unlimited? One of the best overlanding websites, not too big with a hugely useful forum with plenty of people who are happy to give advice (and some even love deuches).

Straight off the bat though, in case anyone's thinking Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco still. You can't get across the as Algeria & Morocco are I thik technically still at war and the border is closed. the only way past is to drop all the way down to Mali, and bypass the border area which is very militarised.

PS Viking, we're almost neighbours.

December 28th, 2009, 7:46 pm
viking bastard

Oh dear, we are all neighbours :o
Drop in ;)

Attachment:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 359.05 KiB | Viewed 10058 times ]

December 28th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

2CViking wrote:
Oh dear, we are all neighbours :o
Drop in ;)

Haha, careful I'm only about an hour away. But if I do, I'll bring my new found favourite bottle.

December 28th, 2009, 10:54 pm
viking bastard

We had a french visitor this morning talking Raids. Gwenael Jounno did Raid Marocco 2006 and is going again this year in May.
He gave us many useful informations, too many to mention here but look around here.
http://norev.free.fr/spip.php?rubrique3

http://www.2cv86.fr/

January 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I now have in detail drawn the hole trip around Morocco- just about 3500 km- lots of unsurfaced roads and trails and possibility to try driving in and through the dunes= al lot of good hard work.

The trip includes driving at the Plage Blanche witch I think could be nice after a couple of weeks in the desert at summertime after that comes one day and two nights in Marakech and then direct to Tanger

But besides that I haven´t so far managed to visit other of the imperial Cities. We are passing close to Fez and it is of course possible to go there for some hours and arive later a than 17:00
We are spending time in desert villages that seems beautiful to me but some might say it isn´t much of a city.

My schedule says first day Tarifa we will meet in the run of Saturday the nd. The 3rd of juli. is a rest day.The 4th of Juli we take off to Tanger it will take 19 days untill we are back in Tarifa. on the 23rd of juli day we leave Tarifa for Salbris.

Out of the 19 days in Morocco 15 days is for driving and 4 days a for resting.
If the last days drive from Marakech to Tanger 600 km isn´t incalculated we will drive 207 km a day as average.

We will have 6 to 9 wildcamp nights and I guess three nights at hotels the rest at official camp-sites.

What do you think should visiting cities have a higher priority than reaching TanTan just before Western Shara begins ,and driving along the Atlantic cost at la Plage Blanche ?

Best Regards
Ulrik

Attachments:
dunes.jpg
dunes.jpg [ 30.54 KiB | Viewed 9983 times ]
Foum Zguid.jpg
Foum Zguid.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 9983 times ]

Denmark
September 22nd, 2010, 7:58 pm
viking bastard

Sounds very appealing to me thanks. I'm not keen on cities unless very special.
I prefer the outback, dry and hot. Image

September 22nd, 2010, 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Hildebrandt wrote:
What do you think should visiting cities have a higher priority than reaching TanTan

We did overnights in Essaouira, Meknes & Marrakech - all were _wonderful_.

There's really not a lot to see in Western Sahara specifically. Sand. More sand. A very long, straight, smooth road. Just the one road, but it's a very good one.

And I'll die a happy man if I never, ever go back to Tan Tan. Seriously. It's a total and utter dump. I think I can still taste the goat-gristle-and-tubes "tagine" now. Unfortunately. And they only tried to charge us £10 for it and another quid for a warm 7-up...

September 22nd, 2010, 8:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Firing on two.

toomany2cvs wrote:
And I'll die a happy man if I never, ever go back to Tan Tan. Seriously. It's a total and utter dump. I think I can still taste the goat-gristle-and-tubes "tagine" now. Unfortunately. And they only tried to charge us £10 for it and another quid for a warm 7-up...

Tan Tan is for seeing remotenes and futhermore just a stop on the way to off roading and camping on the Plage Blanche.

We are going for driving in a lot off sand, but we dont need to go down into Western Sahara for doing that and then it becomes off no specially interrest to go there, since we are on an roundtrip and only have 19 days.
But we have to decide among the off road drive along the Atlantic or seing more of the mountains. I hardly can´t see we can do both and still have time to "be on vacation".

Denmark

September 22nd, 2010, 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5