View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 7th, 2024, 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Raid Afrique 2011 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Raid Afrique 2011
Sold my previous one for raids, so need to make an other. ;) I need to look this after, if it´s going to happen... I have only bits and peaces, but have an idea, chassis coming and papers are ready. Body? Maybe. Just 2 weeks ago found a guy, who has done rollcages, so that´s done. Nice to see, that i am not alone in this. :) So this finn is ready to plan this.

April 22nd, 2009, 8:04 am
Firing on two.

Hi folks Sean here

Just been pointed here by Mr toomany2cvs!

Not had time to catch up on all the goings on yet. Those that know me will know ill have a few opinions, those that dont...ive been on a tough Africa 2cv raid and spent too many hours prepping cars & keeping them going for 24hr endurance races :D

S

April 22nd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Firing on two.

Hello Sean, your input and experience will be very welcome here I'd have thought. :D

April 22nd, 2009, 11:41 pm
Firing on two.

Hi, just read through this lot, count me as interested. But I wouldn't want to go south of the sahara any time other than winter. If you wanted to end at the french nat surely that would dictate the time of year as early spring.
I'd like to see it kept simple, no support, travel as though you're on your own with the exception of sharing spares.
I did the plymouth-dakar a couple of years ago, the whole route can be done on good/reasonable tarmac, not very challenging. The only real headaches were all political, border crossings etc.
During that trip we met a several people travelling on bicycles(one of whom had been travelling for years), and if they can carry everything they need, a 2cv certainly can.

(realise now the suggestion was to end at the world meet in france, not the french national, suggesting a mid summer trip, :shock: no thanks)

Last edited by Joolz on May 4th, 2009, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Firing on two.

Joolz wrote:
I wouldn't want to go south of the sahara any time other than winter...
I'd like to see it kept simple, no support, travel as though you're on your own with the exception of sharing spares.
... the whole route can be done on good/reasonable tarmac, not very challenging. ..

If we only have 4 weeks and we are supposed to return to France I dont think we can make it south of the Sahara anyway.
Speaking for my self I wouldent mind getting out of the 2cv now and then during the raid.

But I totally agree on keeping it simple, no support of any kind - we just have to agree on the routeplaning.

But when it comes to routeplanning I don't find it intereresting using good reasonable tarmac roads. I want to search for challenging tracks.

Denmark

May 3rd, 2009, 9:27 pm
viking bastard

Agree, keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Do you have any suggestions where to start, which part of Africa to drive through? Surly Morocco is the exit point to Spain and then to the French world meeting.
I too prefer dirt tracks only. Sealed roads are boring.

May 3rd, 2009, 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Italy/Marseille > Libya > Algeria > Morrocco > Spain> France >

how far south ?-Djanet-Tamanrasset-BordgeMoktar- Reggiane-Mhamid

Or northern Hassi Messaoud- Ghardaia- Merzouga- Marrakesh

Sean

May 3rd, 2009, 9:56 pm
Firing on two.

Good question. :) I have only been to Egypt, so my Africa experience is nothing... That was 1986...

July 6th, 2009, 9:15 pm
Firing on two.

So, anything planned yet?

July 15th, 2009, 1:44 pm
viking bastard

Yes and no. Still early days. This is still a baby and it need to grow a bit.
Hopefully the world meeting can give it some more publicity. Need to create a simple information sheet with some details on. I’m off to Denmark after the meeting where I will catch up with the person who will set the route. After my return to France, we should be able to give further details. If the end result is only a handfull of cars, we will still go.

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE

July 15th, 2009, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next