View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Raid Afrique 2011 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Raid Afrique 2011
2CViking wrote:
Suicide bomber kills 15 in tourist café in Morocco. This is worrying news and need serious consideration about our safety. At this stage I feel like not going. I would like to hear other raiders’ thoughts. Maybe delay the raid to later in the year.

My wife feels the same way, personly i think that I wuold probally keep out of the bigger cities.
The Danish ministry of foreign afairs tells to take care in puplic places and to stay away from demonstrations.
Since my route wil take us to the most remote places (If we ct out Marrakesh and Fez), I do not think, we will be running that big risk..... according to suicide bombers and demonstratons.
But It is important not to force anybody to go and to me it is evn more important not to force my wife, so at this moment I am not sure that we are going.
For me I belive only summer will be possible for going, since I am teaching the graduating students.

Denmark

April 29th, 2011, 6:12 am
Field Plougher

The cafe with the massive hole in it was one that we had a meal in just over a year ago :shock:

There are suicide bombers every where, we've had them in Britain before, I think the moroccan police will be more alert after this, so it should end up making it safer.

April 29th, 2011, 8:05 am
viking bastard

Above all, safety is the most important issue not pushing through a raiding holiday with a certain amount of risk involved. Yes the world is unfortunately full of people ready to blow up the planet but to visit they camp is too risky for me. Life is indeed dangerous, we die from it. Suicide bombers can be found in many major cities around the world. The risks of being drummed by a truck on our busy roads are part of normal living too. Going to Morocco with these numb nuts looming around is not for me. Surely raiding away from towns would be a pleasure and a sense of security but I don’t think I could relax when hitting towns for supplies and looking at the local scene. A small group of 2cv’s roaming around even in the desert may even attract some interest getting some media exposure by either harming or holding us back. I may be a bit pessimistic here but I will prefer to be safe than sorry.
I’ll leave a window open and monitor the news the next month or so. I understand that others may need to alter holidays and destinations. In case the raid is off, Morocco will hopefully still be on the map later on.
Cheers
Peter

April 29th, 2011, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

organisers,
keep an eye on this sitehttp://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/ there will be informed up to date information from those on the ground.

April 29th, 2011, 10:27 am
Firing on two.

How about an alternative destination in Europe?

April 30th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Firing on two.

I'd quite fancy a Raid Russia :)

April 30th, 2011, 11:22 pm
Firing on two.

Chenobyl. One of the top places on my list of things to do before I croak.

May 1st, 2011, 7:22 am
Firing on two.

To me and my wife it is Morocco that is the target, and for the moment I think that we should see the situation getting worse, before we decside not to go.

We can see Peters point about being a target for people whith political intensions, when you come as a remarkable group.
So if we find that there is an increasing political violence, it means that some of the safety a raid can provide aginst normal "criminals" can be the opposite.
But a this moment and as long as we are not told that it is unsafe going to Morocco,
We will go. But to the last and during te raid we will keep an eye on the bulletins from the ministry of forreign affairs.

Anyway, it is important for me to say that I see the raid as a group of individual travelers whith the same route, at the same period, we can help each others when needed, but everybody is free to go your own way and make your own descisions, all the way through.
If some find it /unsafe or don´t want to, go to certain places or to stay the night at some places, each car should be free to do so and to join the group later.

Denmark

May 1st, 2011, 7:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13