View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Travel light 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Travel light
2CViking wrote:
Correct, should have been done but these 2 raiders came from overseas with only 25 kg luggage each + I carried all the tools and parts. Australian raiders from overseas have a problem bringing parts and tools with them on the plane.
This 2cv was well below 900 kg in total so some items was not removed.

I am one of the two raiders.
Actually, I'm the shadow - 10 ft tall.

My Co driver and I was VERY unsatisfied with all the unnecessary weight, and we talked a lot about cutting the exhaust, throw the interior trim in a river a.s.o., but the scrap car wasn't ours.
But we had NO breakdowns at all in 6.000 k's - the guy who reassembled the car must have been very lucky!

March 4th, 2010, 11:57 pm
viking bastard

Well Thomas, credit to you and Gert for handling the ''scrap'' car as you call it, very well. It just shows that traveling light and driving according to the road condition in a standard well prepaired 2cv is really a pleasure and no worries at all.

March 5th, 2010, 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Just thinking, because my car is galvanised the dry weight is 660 kg, will this cause any problems?

June 5th, 2010, 8:59 pm
viking bastard

No not at all. Aim for around 900 kg and you'll be fine. That is if your car in good condition and you drive according to road condition.

June 5th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

*takes a kick at the topic*

I am now thinking about how to pack and how to configure it all... Obstacle one: Fuel. How much shall one take and what's the best way to haul it around?

I'm thinking of yer olde jerry can:

4 of them behind the seats like in this horribly out of scale drawing:

May 22nd, 2011, 9:24 pm
Firing on two.

ha way too much! I never went to Western sahara but the worst stretches of Morrocco you wont need much more than 20l can. It fits nicely on its side behind the seat and we had spare wheels behind that , the boot area carried the light stuff like clothes.

Also take out the glass in the back of the car and fit plastic for the journey half’s the weight of the rear doors.

May 22nd, 2011, 10:00 pm
Firing on two.

I agree with Sean - 20 l ekstra is enough.

Denmark

May 22nd, 2011, 10:14 pm
Firing on two.

Ok on that front I don't know what to expect. How far can you travel over there on 1 full tank? Lying it behind the chairs sounds like a good idea, it should just fit.
I'll see if I have enough time left to find and/or make plastic windows.
For the rest of the luggage I think I go with some plastic boxes to put my stuff in. You can stack those and because you can buy them in a clear colour it's easy to find your stuff.

About food, I guess there now and then there will be the opportunity to restock, but how often and what will be available? Just so I can make an estimated guess of how many ramen and tin cans I should take with me.

May 23rd, 2011, 4:30 pm
Firing on two.

food is fresh and cheap out there no need to weigh youself down with piles of cans.

most small towns have a cafe - so fuel up the car have a mint tea and a bite to eat ( recomend the cold camel mince and chip sandwiches :lol: ) and a laugh with the locals or you miss so much of the point of going....have a loaf of local bread and some of the local jam for snacking, oh and you can get tins of Elephant stew - rude not to being as its Africa and all that :lol:

May 24th, 2011, 11:14 am
Firing on two.

Sean wrote:
food is fresh and cheap out there no need to weigh youself down with piles of cans.

most small towns have a cafe - so fuel up the car have a mint tea and a bite to eat ( recomend the cold camel mince and chip sandwiches :lol: ) and a laugh with the locals or you miss so much of the point of going....have a loaf of local bread and some of the local jam for snacking, oh and you can get tins of Elephant stew - rude not to being as its Africa and all that :lol:

Well in that case I take primarily some noodles with me as backup. And a few packets of coffee for my moka express.

How much water is advised to keep in your car?

May 24th, 2011, 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next