View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Travel light 
viking bastard

Post Travel light
subarupete wrote:
Compare "like with like"

Car + Fuel + Spare Fuel + Spares Wheels/Tyres + Kit + 2 people + ?

@Viking --------Rolling Weight

Yes rolling weight is fully fitted raid 2cv ready for fighting incl everything loaded.

Work backwards 900 kg less 2cv (590) gives you only 310 kg to play with. Less 2 drivers = 160 kg maybe less, down to 150 kg, less water 20 liter to drink for 2, 10 liter for cooking + emergency, 30 liter fuel maybe more. camping gear, spare parts, tools and personal stuff. Not much left. The whole idea is to travel light, no more than 20 kg personal stuff per person. Most other gear is just in for the journey and may not be used. Toss it or ship it home.
Remove as much as possible from the car, bumpers, rear seat and belts, floor mats, inner door covering etc.
Forget fancy safari bumpers, flood lights and other gadgets.
Being too heavy and going too fast is a leathal combination. The risk of breaking something is very real under these conditions. So the famours saying '' break your toothbrush in two'' is for real.

January 20th, 2010, 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Travel light
Plastic tank...

January 21st, 2010, 2:30 pm
Firing on two.

What catches my eye is that you haven't cut your rear fenders, how much weight would save that?

January 23rd, 2010, 12:48 am
Firing on two.

Still got the interior door trim and a full length exhaust, there's plenty more weight to be lost there. :lol:

January 23rd, 2010, 2:04 am
2CV Fan

And a steel bootlid too, how much more weight could you save if you went for fabric? And replace the rear quarterlights with perspex too.

January 23rd, 2010, 11:21 am
viking bastard

Erasmo wrote:
What catches my eye is that you haven't cut your rear fenders, how much weight would save that?

Not much. Reason for cutting the rear wings are to iliminate mud building up and jamming the wheel. I guess some raiders like the look too.

Joolz wrote:
Still got the interior door trim and a full length exhaust, there's plenty more weight to be lost there. :lol:

Correct, should have been done but these 2 raiders came from overseas with only 25 kg luggage each + I carried all the tools and parts. Australian raiders from overseas have a problem bringing parts and tools with them on the plane.
This 2cv was well below 900 kg in total so some items was not removed.

Dago wrote:
Plastic tank...

Yes good call.

In contrast some Aussie raiders had the benefit of being ''home'' and you should see the amoumnt stuff they put in their cars. Completely unnecessary, some of the 2cv's doíng raids were driving with the arse on the ground and the bumper point to the sky.

January 23rd, 2010, 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

2CViking wrote:
So the famours saying '' break your toothbrush in two'' is for real.

if you break your toothbrush in two before you leave and only take the hairy bit with you, you save weight too :-D

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning!

January 23rd, 2010, 12:01 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Viking,
years ago, I'd heard reports of 'mysterious' breakages of rear arms during Raid Australia.
Seeing this picture, it's hardly a mystery.

Looks as though they'd even being using the rear bumper to grade the track... :lol:
Should have left that job to one of these
< http://www.brookshire.com.au/wp-content ... r-140h.jpg >

ken

2CViking wrote:

In contrast some Aussie raiders had the benefit of being ''home'' and you should see the amoumnt stuff they put in their cars. Completely unnecessary, some of the 2cv's doíng raids were driving with the arse on the ground and the bumper point to the sky.

January 23rd, 2010, 3:02 pm
Firing on two.

Leave off the bumpers,replace all the glass rear of the B post with perspex ( it 1/2s the weight of the doors) shorty exhaust....etc
best advice we had was "think like a bike"
Sean

January 23rd, 2010, 3:52 pm
viking bastard

ken wrote:
Viking,
years ago, I'd heard reports of 'mysterious' breakages of rear arms during Raid Australia.
Seeing this picture, it's hardly a mystery.

Looks as though they'd even being using the rear bumper to grade the track... :lol:
Should have left that job to one of these
< http://www.brookshire.com.au/wp-content ... r-140h.jpg >

ken

2CViking wrote:

Well I'm not a grumpy old Viking but no matter how often we advice raiders NOT to overlaod the cars and to drive according to road conditions, arms are still broken left right center.
This one did not understand the message. Broken arms are on the menu often. No one does it on prupose but driving errors are the common reason for things breaking especially overloaded raid car.

January 23rd, 2010, 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next