View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Raid look 
viking bastard

Post Raid look
Need a bit of help. Don't know how to bend an edge on the mudguards (wings) after cutting them. Want to make a safe and good looking edge
Don't like these Raid Kits

July 4th, 2009, 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Raid look

Or put some nice strip to it.

http://www.cats-citroen.net/home.html

July 4th, 2009, 11:56 am
viking bastard

Yes that is what I'm after. How is that edge made?
The link is to the main page, can't find the page you list above?

July 4th, 2009, 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

http://www.cats-citroen.net/citroen_atypes/po2x2.html

July 4th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Firing on two.

Viking,

Go and have a word with your local artisanl 'soudeur', or 2cv cross exponent, there is quite a simple machine you can do this with called a swage former (or similar), it's a small machine with interchangeable rollers which you feed a piece of metal sheet through and it will put a nice neatly formed crease, swage, fold or bend into it.

If you look at 2cv cross wings they all put a couple of creasesinto the chopped back metalwork to add a bit of strength (probably futile!) (see near the 'Yacco' stickers on the front wings here)

You could of course, simply make the cut and weld a piece of 6mm solid steel rod around the edge, which can be finished to leave a professional looking edge which is safe and a little stronger than a bare edge.

if you're feeling skillful, you can try marking a line approx 10-15mm away from your cut and using an anvil and some panel beating dollys (or just hammers) carefully beat the edge along the line to fold it over, you'll need to be very careful about it and go along the whole length a few times, bending a little at a time, if you have a sharp curve like in the picture dage posted this becomes even trickier to get a good result.

Would be interesting to see photo's when you've done it!

July 4th, 2009, 12:06 pm
viking bastard

Thanks Russ
Love the old tool, may be hard to find. I like your idea of bending and welding the 6 mm rod. Do I fold to 90 degrees or 180
Cheers
Viking bastard

July 4th, 2009, 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Folding to 90 degree may mean the lip touches the tyre, but if you can make a neat job of bending it that far, it shouldn't be too hard to bend it round to 180 degrees, however on tight bends you may have to cut the lip you've formed in several places as the metal won't stretch that far easily.

July 4th, 2009, 1:33 pm
viking bastard

Thanks Russell I'll give it a go, photos coming one day.

July 4th, 2009, 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Agree that those plastic pop on panels look terrible

if you follow the dimentions in "Ici.." you can make a good finish with a hammer and any haeavy block with a good sharp edge to it

you have to have 3 lines on the the wing 1st line is the line of where you want the cut out to be on the finished article
2nd is 10mm to the the original edge of the wing the 3rd is a further 5mm(15 from the original line) this is the cut line.

Could go out and take photo of my wing but cant get them on to t'internet

cut the wing off with good shears leaving no nicks that will tear

Fold the first line over by gently tapping it over the D*lly, easeit over slowly with many many passes then you need a bit metal thats about 8mm thick to use as a thin D*lly to ease the last 5mmm over as a safe edge.

The wing distorts slightly with the first fold but this is releaved when you fold the safe edge over. A bit of streathcing of the metal by hitting it with the pointy edge of a warrington hammer or crosspein hammer(http://www.artistic-license-inc.com/b2b ... Hammer.jpg) might be needed. The metal can be stretched by gripping the flange with pliers then twisting to put a crimp in it then hammering it flat again and shrunk by leaving the very fine crimps in.

Its quite easy despite the complex description the wings are easy to work as they are quite thin.

an alternative is to do a wire edge but cant for the life of me remember the proportion of 90 deg flange to dia of the wire. Did miles of it at metal work all by hand with raw hide hammer( thats back in the old days kids where health and safety wasnt invented and you got to learn stuff at school rather than just cut and paste "projects" from Wikkipedia)

Sean

July 4th, 2009, 7:13 pm
Firing on two.

I do not bend them after cutting. Just beeing lazy and i´m gonna put some strip on the edge...

July 6th, 2009, 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next