View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Safe Raid 
2CV Fan

Post Safe Raid
I don't even know the exact definition of "Raid," but my wife and I are two weeks away from participating in one.
http://www.2cvadventures.co.uk/safe-raid/
I've been working on a 2CV for my wife for over a year, and she's yet to be declared roadworthy (the car, not my wife.) This looks like a great adventure. \
We have probably less than 25km experience in a 2CV. It's only been around the block, and a few trips to town.
David

April 4th, 2015, 5:26 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Safe Raid
That will be fun - I have looked into their Raids/Tours previously but the Morocco adventure was a little out of my price range.

Are you using your own car or renting one of theirs?

Ian

April 4th, 2015, 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

They supply the car.
We'll be coming from the US, along with about 6 other participants.
David

April 4th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Firing on two.

You will have a great time - they have just converted an old fire truck as one of their support vehicles.

They are crafty though get clients to drive their cars back and forth from the UK :lol:

Remember to write up a detailed report when you get back.

Ian

April 4th, 2015, 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

A "Raid" is what the French call a "Rally" a rally is a motor event usually set in stages over a few days where you have to drive to pre determined points and often undertake "Special Stages" - thats the bit the WRC puts on the telly they ignore the trundling about at legal speeds.

"Raid" has come to mean an "epic journey" in 2cv parlance and usually involving vast inhospitable parts of the world.

"Safe Raid" to me is an oxymoron having a sanitised trundle through Europe is just a "Tour", but for a bunch of Yanks it IS an adventure you'll have a hoot!

me and my chums do it every 2 years its usually to the "World meeting of 2CV Friends", ill warn you now it is addictive and well probably see you at the next WM after Poland

We all pretty much did the second half of that Itinerary all be it from UK to Spain Via Andorra and back the most challenging bit was the exit from the supermarket carpark in Andorra - Sam Jools Emily et all will confirm! :lol:

April 4th, 2015, 8:57 pm
2CV Fan

I figured that raid is pretty interchangeable with rally.
The SAFE stands for Spain, Andorra, France and England.
Having never done a rally before, and understanding that this is more of a tour than a world class rally, we recognize that someone has to be last.
David

April 4th, 2015, 9:46 pm
Firing on two.

You will definitely have fun and I am jealous

see the topic I put up a while ago - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5444

remember the report - I am very interested.

April 4th, 2015, 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

We're back, got back to home in Florida last night.
This was the best vacation ever. We didn't really know what to expect, but we could not have dreamed of the experience.
In reference to Tripyrenees's observation in his posting, It wasn't THAT pricey. We paid 3500 GBP. Add the flight from Florida to Malaga, and it was an expensive vacation, but as observed, we are retired, not that well off, but we don't want to leave anything for the kids.
They only sold out 7 cars, so the group was small. Half Americans, half Brits. One flew in from Hawaii, literally 12 time zones away.
They supplied the cars, 1980 models in great condition. They were fitted with a roll bar, so there was no back seat, just luggage room. We bought our own gas.
They had a "Brantz" box, and Garmin backup. We received a "tulip" book for the whole trip. This was not a competition event, we each drove at our own pace. Departure was about 0900, and on the road, we rarely saw another of our cars.
The support team was Toby and Finella, the owners, driving the converted fire engine with a spare car in the back. There were two other mechanics who rode with the two single entrants.
Never having rallied, never having seen a tulip book, there was a little bit of stress. In a few hours we settled in and enjoyed the trip.
They took us on back roads through the countryside, beautiful views. Perhaps 20% was on motorways.
The accommodations were beyond comprehension. In Spain we stayed in Paradors, old castles converted to hotels. Likewise in France.
When my wife and I travel, we look for a 2 or 3 star with a good price and good reviews. These were at least 5 star accommodations. the meals were in the same category. I've only seen such dining on Television. Breakfast buffets were also beyond belief.
If/When I get my pictures organized and posted on one of the sites, I'll alert everyone.

May 3rd, 2015, 9:57 pm
Firing on two.

Sounds like your stil buzzing!
look forward to the photos

May 3rd, 2015, 11:22 pm
Firing on two.

Sounds great and glad you enjoyed it.

Ref price, I was quoting the Morocco prices. But I would say €4500 for 2 people including car is not too bad at all.

I really want to do one (hence the jealously) ;)

May 4th, 2015, 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next